8 de maio de 2012

Are gay teens safe at schools?



Chelisa Grimes, Mother Who Sent Son To School With Stun Gun, Says She'd Do It Again (VIDEO)

The Huffington Post  |  By  Posted: 05/07/2012 

Chelisa Grimes, mother of Darnell "Dynasty" Young -- the 17-year-old gay student who brought a stun gun his mother gave him to school to protect himself from bullies -- says she would do it again.
Grimes spoke with CNN's Don Lemon on Sunday, describing her struggle to have school officials take her son's bullying seriously.
"I do not promote violence -- not at all -- but what is a parent to do when she has done everything that she felt she was supposed to do," she said. "I did feel like there was nothing else left for me to do, but protect my child."
On April 16, six students surrounded Young, threatened to beat up him and called him names because of his feminine clothing, the Indianapolis Star reported. Young then took the stun gun out of his bag, fired it into the air and then walked to class. Minutes later, Young was handcuffed and his stun gun was confiscated.
Although the school held an expulsion hearing for Young last week, CNN reports that no decision has yet been announced.
In the meantime, Young says he did what he had to do to protect himself.
"I was at my wit's end. I didn't know what to do and I thought about suicide," Young told CNN. "I hate saying that word because God blessed me with this life. I love life. I love my education. I would never ... but this bullying got so bad that I thought about that."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário